Re: NTLK Implant 2000 Accel. for Newton? Anygood? Install myself?

From: Doug Fuss (douglas.fuss.pc.86@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 19:35:53 EST

> Wow!! I had no idea. I figured 2 weeks with out Newton. 1 month would be
> nearly impossible.

It was 1 month because of my stupidity when sending it (declaring a value of
$800) as described. If you follow Oliver's instructions, i.e. declared value
under $50 and send via air mail, you should get it back in two weeks, three
at most.

> Is there no one in the states offering that upgrade?

No.

> If I bought the parts
> from him, who should I look for in the local area that could do it?

I recall that someone else on the list did this. Maybe Kenny?

> Thanks for reply! I feel like I definately want it. BTW, what went wrong on
> your installation? How did you mess up?

I probably left my iron on the parts a little too long. I may have also had
a solder bridge or two. Oliver said that he had to replace one or two chips.
He didn't charge any extra for that. :-) Along with Dr. Newton he is a great
Newton repair resource as well. Dr. Newton is in the States, though.

> Say I spend $100 and get a really
> good iron, would that do the trick?

The iron would have to have a very fine tip. I bought the finest one
available at Radio Shack and it wasn't good enough. An electronics
magnifying glass/light and solder sucker would help too.

Your delicate soldering skills have to be at a VERY high level. Your Newt is
not a Ham radio, or a PC for that matter. It is a very tightly configured
circuit board in a very compact consumer electronics package. You would be
soldering microfine copper wires (diameter of a hair) to tiny points on the
circuit board.

Good luck.

Doug

about us at some time. Find out why at: