Re: NTLK NCU, etc.

From: Keith Isley (kisley@dwx.com)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 17:53:39 EST

> 1. So, is there a current version of NCU on the web?

You can get a copy of NCU at Newton Intelligence (ni.syr.edu). You need to
download a client called Hotline first, but it's worth the effort. Lots of
good stuff there.

> I was able to transfer my original files back from the server and that
copy
> of NCU worked, but I could not select specific packages or notes or names
> to back-up. It was all or nothing, and it took a while to backup
everything.

> 2. Has anyone seen anything like that? b.Are there bugs in NCU?

My Windows copy of NCU does the same thing. Really annoying, but at least it
does back up. There's also a "Newton Backup Utility" specifically for
backing up (none of the other features) available on the Apple Web site, but
I'm not sure if it's any better.

If it's any consolation, I have had to restore from a backup, and it worked
well - restored the Newt to exactly the state it was before the problem. So
at least you've got a lifeboat if the Newt goes kaput.

> 3. Are any of the other options as convienent and easy to use?

The sync functions work well, if you've got a copy of the right calendar/PIM
software for your PC. Unfortunately, NCU only synchs to versions that are
now out of date. Your best bet: go to an office supply/computer/Best Buy
store and pick up a copy of Lotus Organizer 2.1 - it's available in most
$9.99 software racks as a "Smart Saver" Productivity title.

It synchs really well, and it's easy to use.

> 4. How about faster, do I have to go to Ethernet?

No idea here. Anyone else?

> In general I have been very happy with my Newton, but I feel like I have
> not reached its full potential. I have been able to access my lynx e-mail
> account at school but I want to get connected to an ISP. Any suggestions
> for detailed, step by step, instructions?

I'd be happy to walk you through. Just e-mail me privately and we can set
something up.

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com