Re: NTLK NCU, etc.

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 03:15:32 EST

On 1/21/2000 3:59 PM, Josh Ormsby [mailto:josh@automationonline.com]
wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>I just got my MP2k connected to my new PC at work, and it has been months
>since my last backup.;) But I had some problems.Win95 did not like the new
>install I did with NCU, and I had to un-install. Tried several times, my
>original disks may be corrupted.
>
>1. So, is there a current version of NCU on the web?

There's a copy in ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/Apple/ I think.

>I was able to transfer my original files back from the server and that copy
>of NCU worked, but I could not select specific packages or notes or names
>to back-up. It was all or nothing, and it took a while to backup everything.

Strange. But I don't use a PC so I can't help here.

>2. Has anyone seen anything like that? b.Are there bugs in NCU?

Don't recall hearing of anything like this, but I don't know the PC
version.
There probably are bugs in NCU, but I don't know if this is one of them.

Some people have been helped by slowing down their (newer which usually
means faster) PC's when using NCU. Search Info-Newt for "slowdown" to
find the application that does this.

>3. Are any of the other options as convienent and easy to use?

There are products to let you back up to a memory card; search Info-Newt
for "backup" and you should find 'em. Mobile Backup is one, and I think
there's another but I'm drawing a blank.

>4. How about faster, do I have to go to Ethernet?

You can't use Ethernet to a Newton from a PC. Only Mac NCU supports it.
Basically what you have is what you're gonna get - low speed (by
comparison to EtherTalk or even LocalTalk on the Mac) serial.

>In general I have been very happy with my Newton, but I feel like I have
>not reached its full potential. I have been able to access my lynx e-mail
>account at school but I want to get connected to an ISP. Any suggestions
>for detailed, step by step, instructions?

Depends on the ISP. My Newton 2100 has built-in support for a lot of
national and international ISP's. I used the "generic" setting for my
local ISP with no problems. It also works fine with my ADSL conneciton
(USWest). Tell us which ISP you want to use and we can probably help
further.

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = Newton Community FAQ: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com