Re: NTLK Newton Press problems...

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 02:35:06 EST

On 1/25/2000 11:57 PM, John I. Clark [mailto:jiclark@independence.net]
wrote:

>Greetings...
>
>I'm writing to try and help the good folks at InterText.com (online
>fiction) figure out their problem translating their 'zine to a Newton
>Book. Some of you may have seen it.
>
>Well, a gentleman named Peter Jones <Peter.Jones@comsat.com> has been
>voluntarily doing the translating for the last couple of years, until
>now anyway. I'll let him explain the problem:

[SNIP]
>So, if anyone has any ideas, drop him (or me) a note. I mentioned to him
>that there are other options out there, other than NewtonPress. [I'm the
>guy that was asking about the various versions of Newton Books last
>week... I've downloaded Paperback and Newton Book Maker; I just haven't
>had time to get myself some experience with any of them, and I don't
>have a modem so I don't even have Newts Cape or the new plug-in to
>translate Palm books. It sounds like that might be the best avenue...]
>Let us know your thoughts!
>
>As always, your help is much appreciated!
>
>Thanks, John

Have him pitch the NewtonPres preferences file, if any.

Also, NP may be using XTND to translate the Word file. Perhaps it's
confused. Have him pitch the XTND Translator List file in Prefs.

Possibly MacOS Easy Open (now called File Exchange in MacOS 8.5 or so.)
or some DatViz or XTND translator is screwed up.

Reboot after doing the above.

The report that "But starting with this last issue, I can't get it to
work at all. NP
 chokes and pukes and will not accept the Word text, and quits." is not
at all useful. Describe in DETAIL what happens (error messages, dialog
boxes, whatever.)

Instead of the document he's using, try a small document with just one
sentence in it, see if that works. Try an OLDER document for an older
issue that DID work. Does any of them work?

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = Newton Community FAQ: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com