Re: NTLK newbie questions

From: Marco Mailand (Marco.Mailand@psi.ch)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 07:43:01 EST

"Janna Beckerman (CBS)" schrieb:
> 1)Is there a hypercard like program that I can use to create stacks on my
> newton? If so, where?
It is NewtCard and highly similar to HyperCard, except the language
behind the buttons. Its not HyperTalk, it is NS Basic. See
http://www.nsbasic.com , http://www.nsbasic.com/newton/ ,
http://www.nsbasic.com/newton/info/newtcard/demo.shtml

> 2) Any advice on exporting a database (300 restriction enzymes, sites,
> buffer conditions and isoschizomers) so I don't have to re-enter this
> data. I have accordian, but not filemaker 3.0(have access to Pro, and
> 4.1).
Jeroen Gouloze (Sorry for the bad spelling) wrote a stack to export
NewtCard data of cards into notes and thus being able to export it to
the desktop via the normal NCU link.

> Finally, a slight OT. I am thinking of biting the bullet and taking a
> real programming class (Last one was 10yrs ago--FORTRAN, yuck).
Principally could you go with NSBasic directly programming on the
Newton. It is not a real fun if you're used to have a 19" screen, but in
principle you could create hand-written programs ;-) And Basic is not
very different from Fortran. You can take the sources directly over to
the Newton and debug them there. Finally could you integrate the BASIC
code into the NewtCard stacks and start with buttons.

--

Regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand

http://www.psi.ch/SLS http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand ****************************************** This month's NewtonTalk brought to you by: