Re: NTLK Re: newtontalk V1 #227

From: RobertRuff@aol.com
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 19:39:29 EST

  Say Bill,
  I know how you feel, I've used HWR that didn't do a thing for me, the
built in HWR for Zoomer also by Palm was next to useless but for me adding
Grafitti to it made it into a useable tool that was able to recognize my
strokes with startling accuracy, but I also owned a Palm Personal could not
distinguish well between L and I if I recall. If I hadden't dropped it so
many times I wouldn't know how great it is to have a Newt.
  It took me a long time to realize that I could choose letter shapes to be
as dissimilar as possible and retrain my writing style but after a year and a
half it is working very well for most things but I'm glad to have Grafitti as
it fills in some gaps of Newton's inability to deal with words and acronyms
not in the dictionary and easy access to all punctuation marks. Any time
Newt dosen't get a new word I imediately resort to Grafitti.
  I've used Grafitti for five years and know it well however it wasn't long
before I could stroke as fast as I can type but then again typing isn't my
fórte, 30 words a minute on a lucky day.

RobertRuff
In a message dated 1/28/00 12:53:25 AM, newton@ecity.net writes:

<< On 1/27/2000 9:07 PM, Kenneth Wong [mailto:ghoonk@mailworld.net] wrote:

>It's not THAT bad, just not as good as Rosetta :)

I use both every day and must respectfully disagree. I find Grafitti
virtually unusable and very annoying. The NewtonOS 2.0 printed
recognizer gives me far better recognition than I get with
Grafitti...and I KNOW the Grafitti strokes just fine and have been using
it for six or seven months daily, but it's SO picky if you get the
slightest curve or write the slightest bit too small, you get some other
letter. I spend half my time writing the backspace stroke.

I have one word for comparing grafitti to Newton HWR: punctuation marks.
  Just TRY to remember the stroke for all of 'em. On a Newton, you just
write 'em normally. On Grafitti, you've got ever conceivable variations
of N, Z up-down, left-right, up-down-slant-left, you name it. Almost
none of which have anything but a remote resemblance to the actual mark.

But in the end, it's nice to have the option of both on the Newton. What
works for some folks doesn't for other and vice versa. Pity you can't
say the same of the palm, but that's one of the many usability prices you
pay for a far lower-priced PDA! ;-)

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = Newton Community FAQ: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com

</XMP>