NTLK Re: newtontalk V1 #231

From: Tom Swell (swell@rohan.sdsu.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 21:22:38 EST

on 1/30/00 9:13 PM, NewtonTalk at newtontalk@planetnewton.com wrote:

> From: "Drew Loker" <lokerd@hotmail.com>
> Subject: MODs on Newton?
>
> Sorry for the dodo question, but I have downloaded the Mod Player, but can
> not find a source of Mods? I had a disc full on a Mac Zip disk, am I
> supposed to use that somehow?

Drew,

MODs were originally invented for the extinct Amiga computer. MOD software
has since been written for all popular platforms. The data file is somewhat
standardized and should run on any machine. There are various 'flavors' of
mod file and the better players can adapt to many of them.

So, yes, try the ones you have. You may have to fiddle with Type and Creator
signatures on the Mac to make them look like pkg files for the Newt or
regular MOD files to play on the Mac. I've never tried it on my MP2.1k- I
have some excellent MOD files, but I suspect they won't sound too good on
the little Newt speaker.

Here are some MOD links:
http://ftp.wustl.edu/~aminet/dirs/tree_mods.html
http://www.modmusic.com/