NTLK Don't pay the $49.00!!!! Was: getting help from Apple

From: Rick Berry (rick_berry@carry-safe.com)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 22:22:34 CDT

Gang,

If you have -HARDWARE- problems that need to be repaired,
REFUSE to pay the $49.00 "support per-incident fee" and ask (politely) to
speak to
a customer service representative.

Tell the CS Rep:
1. I do not need TECHNICAL SUPPORT, I can -see- that it is clearly physically
broken.
2. I need the one-price-fixes-everything $187.69 HARDWARE DISPATCH for my
Newton.
3. ASK NICELY: I want an exception to be made to the $49.00 per-incident
charge.
The CS Rep will give the Technician an "exception code" to enter into the
case, and the Tech can then dispatch you to the service rep.
If the CS Rep doesn't want to make the exception, argue the point that you
don't need "Technical Support" you need a "REPAIR" only.
If the CS Rep still doesn't give in, ask to speak to his supervisor.

Do not pay the Per-Incident Fee, unless you need TECHNICAL ADVICE or
TROUBLESHOOTING! (and that's what -we're- here for, right guys?)

If you go this route, do not ask the service rep -ANY- technical questions.
Just let them dispatch you to the repair service, who will take your credit
card number and ship out the cardboard mailer box.
Don't send in any parts besides the broken ones.
Include a note (typed, printed, or neatly written) explaining EVERY SINGLE
MINOR THING WRONG WITH YOUR NEWTON, and it will -all- be fixed.
Include the case number, the dispatch number, your address and phone number,
and the serial number of the Newton on this piece of paper.
This helps insure you get your machine back.

Do not let Apple push you around on the $49.00 charge. Simply politely refuse
to pay it, and ask to speak to a customer service representative.

I used to work for Apple, so I know how they operate, and why they ask for
this money, but if you just need a hardware dispatch, there's no point in
paying it.

~Rick Berry
<mailto:Rick_Berry@NOSPAM.Carry-Safe.com>