Re: NTLK Pocket PC

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 00:34:45 CDT

On 5/9/2000 12:20 AM, gopi@sloth.org [mailto:gopi@sloth.org] wrote:

>On Tue, 9 May 2000, Bill Davis wrote:
>> They didn't do either one (especially the latter). They bought the
>> rights to the ORIGINAL Newton CURSIVE recognizer, that Apple licensed
>> from Paragraph, now owned by Vadem.. You know, the one everyone
>> lampooned. (Somebody tell Gary Trudeau!) It was called Calligrapher. The
>> PocketPC's hwr is a variant of Calligrapher. It's been available for
>> PocketPC for years, as I recall.
>
>Oh, god, they paid money for something that was so horrible it inspired
>the creation of Graffiti? How amusingly pathetic. Anything that would
>inspire the creation of graffiti is worthy of disdain IMHO.
>
>(I don't mean to knock graffiti too much, it's great for tiny PDAs, but
>it's just sub-optimal for big screened devices)
>
>gopi.

Actually, I disagree. The Newton cursive HWR was always quite nice. I
know people lampooned it, but it worked great for me.

Graffiti, on the other hand, I find to be TERRIBLE. I use my Palm IIIx
about as much as my Newton these days, for different reasons (I use the
Palm for reminders and to-do lists since it fits in my shirt pocket and
can easily go everywhere with me like my old Sharp and Casio electronic
organizers did pre-Newton; something I've missed)....and I positively
loathe Graffiti. I got much better recognition on my Original Newton
MessagePad with the original cursive recognizer than I do on Graffiti on
the Palm. And I know the Graffiti strokes! (well, except for a lot of
the punctuation strokes, which aren't exactly mnemonic and too many of
which are the same shape stroked from different starting points. "Lesse,
 if I draw an "N" this way, do I get a # or a quotation mark? Drat, not
what I wanted. How about drawing it THIS way? Nope. How about....."
Sigh.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. Others have experienced
just the reverse. At least on the NEWTON, we have the OPTION of all three.

So, I was somewhat excited to hear about the recognizer on the new
PocketPC's......but then I tried a PocketPC. Hated it. They just
don't "get it". The Palm's are much better. And a Palm is nowhere
near a Newton.

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!