Re: NTLK Disappearing Memory & Newt'sCape

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 12:57:43 CDT

Kenny Song wrote:

> On Wed, 10 May 2000 Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>
> -----------
> >. If SimpleMail is moving a lot of info's around, or has to
> >temporarily create some entries before deleting them, then at some point, there
> >are a lot of tiny free spaces available in memory that, when summed up, may be
> >quite significant, but when taken separately, they're too small to be
> >effectively reused
> -----------
> Laurent,
>
> I think those of us that faced this recent problem is aware of the normal loss of space due to fragmentation. What we are experiencing is unusually big losses. When I was using SimpleMail 3.3, monthly brainwipe/restores will recover about 200 to 300K on my 32 MB Card. Now, I lose up to 1 MB in about 10 days! That's unusual.

Doh! I wasn't aware of figures like that. 1MB in 10 days? Wow, there's is absolutely another problem, beside fragmentation, this I'm sure. This means 100KB on average per day. That's way too much. I'm using my MP2100 all the time, but very few email on it. I however use InkSpot daily to read about 15 newsgroups. I've never
experienced, or even got close to the numbers you mention. I would recover maybe 200K on my internal store (where all data go, except usenet messages from InkSpot) every 2 or 3 months, so you're radically off the mark, if I may say. I guess you've probably already contacted Simon about this...

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin
Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS Fannie Mae
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com
           ********** Usual disclaimers apply **********

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!