Re: NTLK PCMCIA Type II Adapter card and Compact Flash

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 09:20:00 CDT

Hai Ng wrote:

> On 5/25/00 5:06 PM, Laurent Daudelin said:
>
> >Hey, Peter, wait a second!
> >
> >I'm not ready to start working on this right now! I already have the DDK,
> >so no need to email me. Just wondering, because I've never really checked
> >CompactFlash, is the adapter for the
> >PCMCIA slot? So that you put the card in the adapter, then put the adapter
> >into your Newton? Just wondering...
> >
> >BTW, I'm still waiting for the guidance, as nobody replied yet ;-)
>
> I've tried using it, doesn't work. Newton does not recognise it.
>
> I believe it is because CompactFlash is an ATA device and not linear.

Yep, that's the reason. There's nothing in the Newton OS that can help the Newton talks to this device. That's what drivers are all about. They're the intermediate between the hardware
and the OS. So, they can answer OS requests by talking directly to the device. In the case of an ATA card, when you insert it, the hardware triggers the OS to tell him a card has been
physically inserted. The OS then try to find a driver associated with it, or it might also try to request more info about the card from an existing driver. Since the existing drivers
can't talk to this card, they report that the card isn't recognized. Or if the OS is only looking for a specific driver associated with this type of card, then it reports very quickly
that the card isn't recognized, since no driver could be found.

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin
Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS Fannie Mae
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com