Re: NTLK PCMCIA Type II Adapter card and Compact Flash

From: Marco Mailand (Marco.Mailand@psi.ch)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 10:05:45 CDT

Laurent Daudelin wrote:
> Yep, that's the reason. There's nothing in the Newton OS that can help the Newton talks to this device. That's what drivers are all about. They're the intermediate between the hardware
> and the OS. So, they can answer OS requests by talking directly to the device. In the case of an ATA card, when you insert it, the hardware triggers the OS to tell him a card has been
> physically inserted.

Is it really only a missing driver and not a completely different
hardware concept? I think of completely different lines with different
functions and only physically equal sockets.
If it is only missing software the next question is: Is it possible at
all to patch the NOS and include an ATA driver in the system. I hope
that Apple was so clever to have something like an address table outside
of the ROM or whatever method for patches is used.

--

Regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand

http://www.psi.ch/SLS http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing *************************************** NewtonTalk brought to you by: