Re: NTLK OT: too long lines in mails

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 10:35:17 CDT

Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> Wolf Lichtenberger wrote:
> [...]
>

> > Could we possibly agree to use 72 or 80 characters max. in posting here?
> > (instead of sometimes over 180 like above)
> > This would IMHO improve the usability here a lot.
>
> OK, following my previous reply, I see now in the Communicator "Message Wrapping" section preferences that the setting "Wrap outgoing, plain text messages at" is checked and set to 72.
> I'm usually using the HTML editor to compose message, however, the "When sending HTML mail messages to recipients that are not listed as being able to receive them:", and I have "Convert
> the message into plain text (may loose some formatting)" set. I also have an entry for NewtonTalk in my address book, and the setting "Prefers to receive rich text (HTML) message" is
> *NOT* set.
>
> So, I always thought that when sending to the list, I was sending text messages, and since they were text messages, I always assumed they were wrapped at 72 caracters, but it seems I was
> wrong.
>
> Can anybody help me with this? I certainly don't want to be a nuisance to the list, considering the number of messages I post!

OK, after seeing my above message, I think I understand how it works. If
I set it to use the plain text editor, then the messages are text only
and are hard wrapped to 72 chars. If I set it to use the HTML editor,
and convert the message to plain text, it doesn't seem to wrap the
message, which would lead me to believe it's a bug in Communicator?

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS
Fannie Mae Washington, DC, USA
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com