Re: NTLK Ethernet and NIE 1.1

From: Robert Benschop (robertbenschop@bigfoot.com)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 13:50:46 CDT

on 01-08-2000 7:07, Victor Rehorst at chuma@chuma.org wrote:

>> Reply to: Re: NTLK Ethernet and NIE 1.1 Does this mean that I
>> can use an Ethernet card with an MP 130? I am about to but one, and
>> knowing this information would influence my decision.
>
> NO. OS 2.0 does not contain the proper APIs to drive Ethernet cards. (And
> you can't upgrade a 130 to OS 2.1)

These two statements are absolutely true.
I just got really mixed up by when Olaf Bohlen wrote:

> Well, the problem is not the Newton. The problem is the NIE. The
> NIE 1.1 is not able to handle ethernet devices. Only NIE 2.0
> does. And NIE 2.0 requires NOS 2.1 and there is the problem. I
> am pretty shure that ethernet-card would work in NOS 2.0
> devices

Since I didn't test it at the time I suddenly doubted was I've been stating
to a lot of newbies ever since.
When I reread the above (from Olaf) I realized I've been preaching the right
gospel: ethernet cards/connections for OS 2,1 only (2xoo and eMate)

Robert Benschop

P.S.
hope that I'm still making myself clear here, otherwise I'm sure that
somebody will let me know ;-)