Re: NTLK Ethernet & PCs

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 15:28:17 CDT

Things to get:
1) Ethernet card for your PC
2) Small 10baseT hub (depending on how many machines
you want to connect dictates the port quantity)
3) Proxy software. This runs on the PC and acts as an
intermediary for all the other machines on the network
to access the internet from the single IP that your
DSL provider will be giving you. I recommend the free
ware proxy server by JanaProxy. It is smooth, clean
and even allows you to set up email alias's
4) whatever DSL stuff your provider sets you up with

Once everything is working, you can then hook up as
many computers through your DSL connection as you like
(limited only by the number you set in your Proxy
software!)

That's it in a nutshell!
 Ed
web/gadget guru
--- richard z avery <richard.z.avery@uk.tesco.com>
wrote:
> All of the information I can find for the Newton and
> Ethernet cards seems to
> be for MP2K<->Mac connectivity using Appletalk.
>
> I am a PC user and hopefully soon to get ADSL here
> in the UK and wondered if I
> could use an ethernet card to share this connection.
> Does anyone have any
> information or hints and tips for me? I have read
> you can share a connection
> to the net from your Mac and the MP2K with NIE
> understands TCP (I use a modem
> to get net connectivity at the moment) so I suppose
> it is all feasible.
>
> Thanks
> ***************************************
> NewtonTalk brought to you by:
>
> EVOTE.COM -- the ESPN of politics on the Internet!
> All the players, all the news, and the hottest
> analysis and features (plus 'toons!) anywhere....
> visit http://www.evote.com today!

> Visit the NewtonTalk section at
http://www.planetnewton.com

=====
this is a temporary sig file until I can figure out a more clever one to use

http://invites.yahoo.com/