NTLK GSM PCMCIA cards

From: Gianni 'Dakkar' Ceccarelli (ceccarel@cibs.sns.it)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 23:27:13 CDT

I was looking around the Net for a card that could do GSM calls by itself,
without being attached to a telephone.
I've found several of these, but all have one fudnamental problem (aka
feature): they have no power supply (battery) of their own, they run off
the battery of the 'notebook'.
If the notebook is a Newton MP, you may figure out quite quickly the
autonomy of such a system.
Now I ask: have anybody ever seen a PCMCIA GSM card, with external power
supply? Or know a way to modify one to allow it?

TIA

--

Dakkar - ceccarel@cibs.sns.it <Mobilis in mobile>

There was, it appeared, a mysterious rite of initiation through which, in one way or another, almost every member of the team passed. The term that the old hands used for this rite -- West invented the term, not the practice -- was `signing up.' By signing up for the project you agreed to do whatever was necessary for success. You agreed to forsake, if necessary, family, hobbies, and friends -- if you had any of these left (and you might not, if you had signed up too many times before). -- Tracy Kidder, "The Soul of a New Machine"