RE: NTLK Avantgo Why

From: Bradley Smith (BradleyS@artisansw.com)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 10:37:30 CDT

> Avantgo is trying to make people use only their clients to view
> Avantgo-optimized pages. To this end, they are encouraging sites with
> Avantgo pages to NOT advertise the URL. Instead, Avantgo users must
> register with avantgo.com to get links to Avantgo content.

Now this is a very good point. Quite why they are enforcing the use of their
client I don't know. In fact I wonder just how they are making their money.
Anyone know?

> I think I explained some things poorly in my initial message
> and you jumped
> all over me - thanks for pointing it out.

Hmmm, browsing over my initial reply I was perhaps a trifle harsh - I get
like that when I feel strongly about something and in this case I felt that
I was having difficulty getting my point across. Sorry you took the brunt
Victor, it wasn't supposed to be directed at you.

To clarify, the point I'm making is that there *is* a need for smaller web
pages for use on PDAs. Normal web sites don't work, even with the
comparatively huge screen that our chosen platform has. Your point, that you
don't actually need the AvantGo client to view these smaller pages, is also
totally valid and if the AvantGo urls were easily accesible then we'd be
laughing. I believe the message that got me started on all this was one
saying that we don't need AvantGo because we can just surft the web properly
[like we were sat at a desktop machine] which in my experience isn't the
case.

Brad