Re: NTLK Purchasing Rights to the Newton...?

From: gopi@sloth.org
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 03:28:45 CDT

On Sat, 5 Aug 2000, Peter Apockotos wrote:

> But what I said neither confirmed or denied anything and I most certainly
> did not provide any proprietary information of any kind, what I meant was

Maybe I misinterpreted your statement; your grammar was unclear. I thought
you were suggesting you shouldn't have said anything really. The
implication there was that you knew something special you couldn't tell
us.

> there may be something in the works but that I could not tell you much
> more..mainly because I am waiting on more information and it is not new

So, basically you don't know anything more, you just think there is
something in the works despite Apple _explicitly_ denying this? In case
you forgot, Apple _did_ actually cancel a working, functioning device that
was selling reasonably well (for its price). They wouldn't do that merely
to redesign it and re-release it.

> information that Apple will not be selling their Newton Technology, many

They actually stated publicly that they _were_ willing to sell it. but
supposedly were asking too much money for it. Also, doing anything useful
with newton technology is non-trivial. I don't think there are many
companies around that could produce such a system right now. As much as it
saddens me, I do not think that Apple is currently capable of producing
something as good as the Newton. They produce cool products, but I see
little in terms of cool _technology_ coming out of them. OS X is
OpenStep, heavily updated. Cool stuff, but an update of existing stuff
and not advanced new technology.

> companies have tried this and Apple has said no, and don't forget I am the
> one that told you all about http://www.iphone.org. I remember a time when
> someone figured that http://www.darwin.org was to be a new mac but it turned
> out to be Darwin OpenSource Project.

Right. That's to say, people are frequently wrong. Since you are
asserting as fact the idea that Apple will produce some kind of device
using Newton technology, please back up your assertion. I am aware of
talk of incorporating handwriting recognition. That's an absolutely tiny
part of the entire Newton system. Please, since you are not actually
under NDA and dont' know anything that isnt' public, justify your
assertions.

When you present opinions as fact, don't be surprised when people call you
on it.

gopi.