Re: NTLK Purchasing Rights to the Newton...?

From: Oz Suguitan (ozs@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 13:27:49 CDT

Part flame approaching!

Your eMail from g4@tampabay.rr.com on 8/5/00 1:10 AM said this:

>Sorry I have not signed any NDA on the issue (or for any project that MAY or
>MAY NOT be in the works) at hand. Calling me a slug is like calling the
>kettle black, Oz...I have my issues with a recent purchase from NewtonOZ but
>I did not think that it was appropriate to go to that level about the
>issue's that I have, but if you want to go that route, we can!

If you have an issue, you should have told us about it a long time ago when you ordered. We attempt to resolve all issues with our customers. When people have issues with us, whether our fault or not, it gets known by everyone. NewtonTalk members and Newton Community people are very protective of each other, and we appreciate and respect that fact, being members ourselves.

Having a problem with your order, and releasing information that is not yours or is fabricated and posted as fact are two different unrelated issues. Everyone on NewtonTalk knows who my suppliers are, in fact some of them are NewtonTalk members, so if you have a problem, I invite you to post it publicly (although the List may disagree). Believe me, it's been done before. Trying to link a previous problem that you had with your order with a misstep that is being "called" on Newtontalk is unnecessary and does not make a good argument.

>***Note*** I may come across as a smartass on this but it seems ironic that
>certain people that have no problem with Piracy, have a problem with some
>possible good news about our beloved platform that did not originate from
>anyone breaking their NDA from Apple, but more from close observation about
>certain things that are happening.

No, a smartass is what €I€ am. :) What you have done is something else.

Are you trying to dispute my post about software licences? I sell software INCLUDING THE SOFTWARE IN QUESTION, which also makes me an indirect dependant of copyright law. What makes you think I don't have a problem with piracy? I would not have posted that had I not read the licence myself and done some external referencing over it. Posting such a thing makes me liable for the actions that are taken by users because of the factual position of the post!

The whole point is this:

There are three ways you "found out" this info:

-You are fabricating it, which makes it false. Then I will ask you, why are you spreading false hopes to Newton users? If you don't really know, or didn't intend to post something you didn't know about, then you had better retract the statement now. You teased us with the "I shouldn't tell you more than I did", and that pisses us off!

-You got the info from info behind NDA, which means you broke a contract, which is no good; or, you were the recipient of information from someone who has an NDA. If you knew that they had an NDA, and they gave trusted you with the info, you shouldn't be posting it anywhere publicly, even if it IS only a little smattering. Saying partial info is sometimes worse than telling the whole story.

-You are putting together info that is publically available from the web or other sources. Well then, Mister, why do you have to state that you can't post any more; and, why do you have to post it as factual information from inside sources? What are these "certain things" that YOU know about that none of us here already know or have access to information about?

Please, there is no worth in this thread. We've been hearing stuff across the 'net about Apple's bringing this or that to market, with no results since the discontinuation of the Newton line. Posting that they are bringing some small part of the Newt to a different and unrelated product is not necessarily good news, it's just news.

....depressing if anything. Just as a person is more than the body parts, Newton is more than just handwriting recognition and a pen based OS.

-Oz
of NewtonOz

This post does not reflect the opinions of NewtonOz or it's employees, just Oz.