Re: NTLK Purchasing Rights to the Newton...?

From: Oz Suguitan (ozs@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 13:33:48 CDT

Your eMail from on 8/5/00 8:58 AM said this:

> Apple has
>> always used outside sources for their products, few examples: Monitors buy
>> Sony (Trinitron Monitors), Philips Magnavox (Performa Line of Monitors)
>> Samsung (LCD Monitors) and then you have Apple branded printers were made by
>> Canon and I believe the scanners were made by Hewlett Packard. The USB
>> Keyboard (original one) and USB Mouse (Puck) were made by Logitech and the
>> list goes on!

That's not quite right.

Just because Apple used a part, that doesn't mean that the product is
automatically the product of the originator of the part.

Apple designed the Apple USB Mouse, gave the plans to Logitech for
manufacture, therefore Logitech was the originator of the Apple mouse? I
think not.

It has never been a simple repackage and rebrand for apple. Whole logic
boards, external case design and software were internally created at
Apple for these products. ONE part of a product [in a monitor, the tube]
even a crucial one, does not make an entire product. You are arguing that
since Apple didn't directly manufacture all the parts of any product they
sell, that none of the products they sold were thiers!

So by your arguments and implied opinion it would be true to say that
since Apple didn't have primary design in the G3 processor, and are
buying those processors from IBM and Motorola, Apple's Macs are now
really IBM's and Motorola's computers. And, because Apple is buying the
LCD from Samsung, that the Apple Cinema display is not an Apple product,
but Samsung's. AND, that because the crucial cursive handwriting
technology in Newton is not by Apple, that the Newton's handwriting
recognition should not be credited to Apple!

-Oz