NTLK Re: newtontalk V1 #81

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys@cox.rr.com)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 01:54:23 CDT

on 06/08/00 00:44, NewtonTalk at newtontalk@planetnewton.com wrote:
[...]
> They produce cool products, but I see little in terms of cool _technology_
> coming out of them. OS X is OpenStep, heavily updated. Cool stuff, but an
> update of existing stuff and not advanced new technology.
>
> 5. You are absolutely right! I never liked the idea of the Next Merger.
> At least it saved Apple, so far!
[...]

I was not going to jump on that thread, but it's now going a bit too far.

Folks, come on, NeXT technology is *far* ahead every offering right now. I
won't start arguing with you, but check your facts before making those kind
of unfounded affirmations.

Apple did buy a mature operating and they're using it as the basis for the
finally new operating they've been promising for years. I'm currently
running MacOS X DP4, and I also used NeXTStep/OpenStep for 6 years, and OS X
doesn't bear any ressemblance to OpenStep. They kept the core and built
around it. Hence Aqua, Quartz and the ability to offer Carbon compatibility.
All those things would have been impossible with OpenStep.

Hey, after more than 2 years that the Newton has been canceled, we still
firmly believe that it's the best PDA, right?

So, trust me, even if the core of OS X is 9 years old, it's still the best
out there!

BTW, I did a little test this afternoon. I've launched NCU in Classic. I did
connect my Newton without any problem to it. I've used the keyboard and did
install a package on my Newton, all of this under OS X!!!

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin <http://home.cox.rr.com/nemesys>
Logiciels Nemesys Software mailto:nemesys@cox.rr.com