NTLK OT: which mail client (was: RE: NTLK OT: too long lines in mails)

From: Wolf Lichtenberger (w_l@gmx.net)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 09:06:31 CDT

Hi fellow Newtoneers,

hope you'll live through enduring this YAOM (yet another OT mail)...

on Tue, 01 Aug 2000, Bradley Smith wrote:
> Sounds like a problem that really ought to be dealt with in the client. Can
> we point whoever posted the original request

yep, that's me.

> in the direction of an email
> client that has the facility to wrap email?

I'm currently on the switch to linux (want/have to) and not yet settled again
for one. Problem is, i have a list of nearly-must-have features...
* Unix mbox message base format (not gonna loose 15% to conversion again!!)
* multiple POP3/SMTP (starting with different conf.-files is OK),
  (i have to use this, i'm on a LAN too)
* filtering rules plus indicators for new mails (at least a filter report!)
* stable & fast 'nuff for folders with 10k msg's and more (yep, Newtontalk ;-)

as well as nice-to-have features:
* able to do SMTP-after-POP for authentication
* something better than plain sort-by-subject, at least ignoring Re:,Fwd:...
* word-wrap in the mail reader
* delete mails from POP-server after n days

TheBat (f. Win.) was nearly perfect, had a proprietary message base,though,
Eudora Pro (f. Win.) used something like mbox, though slower and clumsier.
  Hell, if they made a Linux client, i'd even _pay_! Also, only 1 SMTP...
kMail (Linux) does the job on average, but loses track in the message base now
  and then... Also, it's word-wrap only in composer, and no multiple SMTPs.
Mutt (Linux) is really weird: POP, but no SMTP, but does threading!!
PINE (Linux) would fit the bill quite well, but for a new-mail-indicator or
  filter report... also, only 1 SMTP... but orders subject groups by date 8^)))
Mahogany (Linux) is an admirable system, which i haven't understood at all,
  also slooooowwww

That's about all i used up to now.
Generally, under Linux, text clients are fast & stable, but w/o modern
features (like MIME or POP/SMTP); GUI clients more modern, slower and less
stable.

> Surely there's something out
> there?

May very well be. More Tips/Pointers?
I'm currently using kMail, changing the SMTP by hand, and thinking of moving to
a pieced-together system of pine+fetchmail+filter/procmail(for a filter report)
[For crying out loud: pine _has_ filtering, MIME, POP, SMTP, but no: "a new mail
count in the folder list would be too slow" - pine info database on the
homepage. AAAaaarrgghhhh!]

Good heavens, it's over! 8^)))

regards,
-- Wolf