NTLK old Apple factoids (was Re: NTLK Purchasing Rights to the Newton...?)

From: Wolf Lichtenberger (w_l@gmx.net)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 12:42:49 CDT

Hi fellow non-name-calling Newtoneers 8^)

on Sat, 05 Aug 2000, Peter Apockotos wrote:
> 1. First of all...Apple never says what it means until it is time to dazzle
> the press (basically till it suits them)
>
> In case you forgot, Apple _did_ actually cancel a working, functioning
> device that was selling reasonably well (for its price).....They actually
> stated publicly that they _were_ willing to sell it. but
> supposedly were asking too much money for it.

Supposedly they never considered selling because the Newt concept contained some
core Apple assets like f.e. the GUI being based on a Quickdraw port.

> 2. Actually the R&D on the Newton was so high that, if they still sold the
> unit's for the same price and quantity for the next 50 years they may have
> broken even.

IIRC they broke even about the time the 2100 was released.

> It is more cost effective for them to reabsorb the technology,
> than to sell it and most likely that is why the offering price was so steep,
> to keep buyers away.

I read an interesting point of view: If an independent Newton, inc. is
successful, Apple stock owners will sue. If NI is pulled back in and axed, no
sweat & no law suits. See
http://pencomputing.com/Newton/AppleKillsNewton(PCM22).html

According to still another mail on http://talk.smaller.com/ some months ago (by
one "AppleNOSEngineer" purportedly working on NOS system patches), the Newt team
after rejoining crumbled away like so much sand due to proposed career chances
(not), and what's left of Newt at Apple apparently consists (as someone here put
it aptly) of old incomplete Backups that noone could readily make sense of.

regards,
-- Wolf