RE: Replicating the Newton Advantage (was RE: NTLK Purchasing Rights to the Newton...?)

From: Jeff Knee (jdknee@ufl.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 14:07:35 CDT

        I'm a consumer, not a developer, so I appreciate the
technical discussion about the future of the Newton in some
pieces, form or another.
        Early on when Steve Jobs took over Apple, in fall of '97, I
emailed Apple's customer feedback webpage with some
marketing advice which they seemed to embark on with the
iMac and following desktops and powerbooks. Namely, that
they should introduce more attractive designs that would
appeal to different markets, especially those new to
computers, because the Mac was/is more user-friendly than
other PCs. This would get an Apple product in their hands
early, unless they get a PC with all their hair-pulling
complexities (making a 2nd computer purchase later much less
likely).
        Sure enough, surveys showed first-time PC buyers-- having
been burned by Windows' tedium and viruses, etc-- were less
likely to upgrade their OS and apps, nor buy a new PC. In
fact, it isn't unusual to find cheap PCs gathering dust in
many homes across the land.
        Then, Apple was coming out with the iMac and then iBook,
which attracted many new computer users with their
attractive skins and ease of use.
        All Apple has to do, now, is bring back an updated Newton
or "HandMac" designed attractively. It's already the
easiest portable OS around. Just making it in different
styles-- say one in Art Deco, one in Stained Glass, another
in Hi-Tech or PinStripes, etc -- would make the Newton
(under a new name) sell again. As long as it's affordable,
too. (I'd stay with a monochromatic screen, perhaps
gray-based instead of green, if do-able?).
        The opinion of a consumer.