Re: NTLK Annc: SimpleMail 4.1 Released!

From: Victor Rehorst (chuma@chuma.org)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 13:48:21 CDT

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Ben Sayer wrote:

> >SM4.0 makes 1-2K per message unavailable to the system when filtering
> >is enabled. This can lead to a significant loss of store memory. Backup,
> >hard reset and/or erase card, and restore to reclaim the memory lost by
> >SM4.0.
>
> Could someone please elaborate on the memory loss issue. I started using
> 4.0 about five days ago and have been very happy with it. A couple of
> days ago I created a filter, not knowing that there was this issue. In
> looking at the storage icons in my Extras drawer (excuse me if I don't
> use the correct terminology; I got my MP2100 a couple weeks ago) and it
> appears that there is an In/Out Items icon in both my internal and card
> stores. Is the location of this store what indicates whether one must do
> a hard restart, erase a card, or both? If so, it appears I need to do
> both, unless I can consolidate the items to the card, backup the card,
> erase it, and restore, without having to do a hard restart.

The memory lost is not reported when checking the size of the In/Out box.
If you've been storing mail onto both the Internal store and your card, you
will have to wipe both. But it you've been storing all of your mail on,
say, the memory card, then you only have to wipe the card.

Merely deleting the In/Out Box icon in the Storage folder in Extras will
*not* free up the memory.

Victor Rehorst - victor@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca | chuma@chuma.org
Secretary, CASU & CPES College Governments, University of Guelph, Canada
Newton Resources: Ethernet, Mailing List Archive, Newton Cage File Archive,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ FAQ, Documentation, Books, Projects and fun, too!
                  http://www.chuma.org/newton/