Re: NTLK Purchasing Rights to the Newton...?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 21:20:18 CDT

<really big snip>

> There's lots of times that mediocrity wins over
> good, thought-out products:
> VHS vs. Beta, Windows vs. Mac OS/Amiga, MP3 vs.
> MiniDisc...
>
> But, availability, price, marketing and
> market-penetration win out every
> time.
<snip>

What really is the problem:
VHS vs Beta, highly uncompetitive lisencing structure
Windows vs Mac/Amiga, non-existant lisencing structure
MP3 vs Minidisk Very tightly controlled lisencing
structure
(notice that in two out of the three examples, Sony
plays a major part <and if you open up your Mac,
you'll notice Sony branded products from the CD ROM to
the Power supply!>)

What this means, create something great and try to get
rich off of it and you will fail! Create something
mediocre and practically give it away, and you will
get rich!

Ed
web/gadget guru

=====
this is a temporary sig file until I can figure out a more clever one to use

http://invites.yahoo.com/