NTLK INFO - Newton Aluminum Shell Answers #2

From: Justin (lemur@nyc.rr.com)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 01:27:12 CDT

Cool, already more questions! Keep them coming, along with comments and
suggestions - there is NO final design et, so any ideas for logos,
embellishments, etc, please post 'em!

> a few questions (before i order)

The sign up form at http://newton.i85.net is not an order form - it is a
preliminary form to get an idea of demand. On or around Sept. 15th, you'll
get a form asking for a purchase committment, or something of the like. BUT
- please only sign up if you are SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING paying a minimum of
$500 for a shell! ($500/shell for 10 people - this is an estimate!)

> is it anodized brushed aluminum? (the picture looked like plain aluminum)

Go see a Palm V - its like that, not brushed, but anodized.

> is it safe? FCC, radiation etc?

Newtons don't really let out ANY significant radiation - I've checked.
Conversely, here's this piece of infor from Dave Ruigh:
Q: "Does the case make the unit more susceptible to  ESD (electrostatic
discharge) damage because it is conductive? Can the internal components
short to the metal case?"
A: The metal case forms what is known as a Faraday cage around the unit. The
anodized surface is also an electrical insulator. These factors may actually
make the Palm less sensitive to static discharge than the stock plastic
case, though this was not the design intent, nor do we represent this
product as being ESD resistant. When properly installed, Internal conductive
components are not in contact with the metal case, and the insulating
properties of anodized aluminum give further protection against inadvertent
shorting.

> how much does it weight?

It will probably end up weighing a little more than the standard Newton
shell.

>Have you thought about whether or not to include an apple or newton logo,
>and how to do it? It would be really cool to have the power button, logo
>and maybe the screen cover catch done in something similar to the buttons on
>the palm case. What color are you hoping to get?

In regards to the logo - not sure yet. Once we get closer to the deadline,
I'll ask people what they think - it'll probably be between a stamped Apple
logo or a stamped Newton logo at the spot where the Apple logo usually is.
There is already a question on the sign-up form whether or not people want a
small "ARM Powered" logo in the corner on the flip case.
As for the color for the accent pieces - not sure about that yet. I'll ask
that along with the logo question in a few weeks.

Any questions or comments, post to the list or e-mail me!

--Justin D.

--
NASP
Newton Aluminum Shell Project