Re: NTLK INFO: Newton Aluminum Shell Update - minimum reached!

From: NewtonMP (newtonmp@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 07:38:43 CDT

> I think that if you give us a table of prices (like so much with 20 people
> ordering etc.) you stand a much better chance to get a lot of orders going.
> I would think that 150 people for $ 150 is probably more realistic than 25
> for $ 500.
>

> Robert Benschop

True enough, but considering that the Palm III shell goes for $250, the
chances of getting a Newton shell for $150 seem somewhat remote. I would
probably shell out, say $300 for something like this, while $500 is kind of
questionable to me (that could buy another MP2100, after all).

One problem with this kind of thing is that many people will say they are
interested, but when it comes to actually purchasing it, you may find your
numbers dwindling very quickly.

Justin -- Would it be possible just to get an aluminum replacement screen
cover made? My guess is that would be a lot easier and cheaper (perhaps
$100-$150?). It also doesn't involve exposing the guts of your Newton, and
so would be a lot more accessible for most people. I think the metal of the
aluminum combined with the black of the rest of the case would look pretty
darn cool. In any case, if the shell project succeeds, you'll be making a
screen cover anyway, so it might make sense to offer just that for sale as
well. Also, if it doesn't seem possible to do the whole shell, you might
see about just getting the screen cover done.