Re: NTLK Sharp ExpertPad questions

From: Brian McEwen (brian@bmcewen.cvm.okstate.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 10:20:36 CDT

>1) is the internal hardware the same as an OMP/100?
>2) does it use the same system updates/software/peripherals as an OMP/100?
>3) did I get totally ripped off or is this really a somewhat rare early
>newton? I searched ebay and came up blank in the (inflated) value dept.

1- It's the same as an OMP. Unless it had the 1.3 ROMs installed making it
essentialy an OMP/100. I don't know if the EP's took 1.3 ROMs or not.
OMPs could. The system versions were a little goofy back then, an OMP with
1.05 was essentially the same as an MP100 with 1.1.1. Some OMPs were
released with 1.1 ROMs also. The FAQ talks about this. If your system
info shows that you have NOS 1.0, you should upgrade to 1.05. If you have
1.1, you should install 1.1.1.

2- essentially the same reply as for #1 :) It depends on the ROMs you have
installed. Peripherals tolerated will/should be the same for the OMP, the
MP100, and the MP110 mostly- they have the same PCMCIA power limits etc.
Be aware they need 5/12V flash ram , not 5/5.

3-Depends on what you want to do with it.
  You can customize it a lot to overcome some OS limitations and make it
MUCH more convenient to use. See
http://amug.org/amug/sigs/newton/nwtfaq.html.txt

for the "old" FAQ related to 1.05/OMP and 1.3/MP100's. AMUG has many of
the 1.05 specific packages archived, adn there was one other ftp site that
had a lot of stuff of that vintage, that AMUG did not.

Things that would be a problem- email, although there are a couple of vt100
terms for 1.0 that sort of work; no PPP possible; only send, not receive
faxes.

 You'll find a LOT more info in that old FAQ also, and it of course is a
more definitive answer than my memory :) (it's been 2 years since I read
all that stuff).

Hope that helps. I know that there are other OMP and similar vintage users
on the list, 'cos they post on occasion.

Brian