Re: NTLK Sharp ExpertPad questions

From: J. van de Griek (Joost_van_de_Griek@nl.yachtgroup.com)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 12:49:26 CDT

On 12-08-2000 17:20, Brian McEwen wrote:

>> 1) is the internal hardware the same as an OMP/100?
>> 2) does it use the same system updates/software/peripherals as an OMP/100?
>> 3) did I get totally ripped off or is this really a somewhat rare early
>> newton? I searched ebay and came up blank in the (inflated) value dept.
>>
> 1- It's the same as an OMP. Unless it had the 1.3 ROMs installed making it
> essentialy an OMP/100. I don't know if the EP's took 1.3 ROMs or not. OMPs
> could. The system versions were a little goofy back then, an OMP with 1.05
> was essentially the same as an MP100 with 1.1.1. Some OMPs were released with
> 1.1 ROMs also. The FAQ talks about this. If your system info shows that
> you have NOS 1.0, you should upgrade to 1.05. If you have 1.1, you should
> install 1.1.1.

IIRC, there were two versions of the ExpertPad; one with OS 1.x (pre-1.3),
basically an OMP, one with NOS 1.3, a Sharp MP100, so to speak.

> 3-Depends on what you want to do with it. You can customize it a lot to
> overcome some OS limitations and make it MUCH more convenient to use. See
> http://amug.org/amug/sigs/newton/nwtfaq.html.txt

You definitely did not get ripped off. If you don't want it anymore, I'll
somehow find an SE/30 and trade it with you ;-). I'll cover all shipping
costs, too. Does that give you an indication of it's collectors' value?

,xtG
..tsooJ

--
Joost van de Griek