Re: NTLK Does Farallon PN595a-tp work ...

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 15:10:46 CDT

Hey! Goto
http://www.egghead.com/atcost/solutions/dlink/dlink_pccards.htm
and take a look at the d-link cards! I bought one of
the D-Link DE-660 PCMCIA cards and it works flawlessly
in my upgraded 2000 Newt. All I needed was that
Generic "ATLAN" extension (of course, I needed all the
other Ethernet stuff as well) but I paid $25us for my
D-Link 660 and it works better than anything else I
tried to use. The only down side is the clunky
dongle...but you won't see me complaining!
 Ed
web/gadget guru

--- "Andrews David (Mr D)"
<David.Andrews@dti.gsi.gov.uk> wrote:
> Thanks for your help. After receiving your message I
> wrote to 'Dr Farallon'
> and their reply stated that (1) they no longer make
> the PN895 and (2)
> the only Newton compatible card they make is the
> pn595-tp. They said that
> I can only obtain this card through them. As I live
> in the UK, and because
> they wont ship outside USA, I'm unable to buy this.
> I don't know if their
> UK distributors are still around as they're not
> answering my emails.
>
> I think my only option is to try and find something
> on eBay, etc, or look
> for one of the other cards listed on Victor
> Rehorst's Newton site.
>
> Thanks again. // dave
>
> -----------------
> thwizard wrote ...
> > It is my belief that the PN 595a-TP card does not
> work in the Newton.
> > Farallon changed the card designation from PN595
> to PN595a-TP and also
> > stated that this card still works for the
> powerbooks, but now it is no
> > longer compatible with the Newton. Farallon also
> states that they have
> > discontinued the PN595 card (the one that was
> emate and Newton
> >compatible.)
>
> ...snip
>
> > I believe Farallon also still sells the PN895. (I
> also have one
> > available for sale. email me off list if
> interested.)

=====
this is a temporary sig file until I can figure out a more clever one to use

http://mail.yahoo.com/