Re: NTLK The Mistry of Apple Products (was HWR and inet / chat pkgs)

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 16:21:55 CDT

--- Khaled Tewfik <khaledt@earthlink.net> wrote:
<snip>
> It is quite rare to see some one talking about his
> Windows or Palm with such passion and love (feweh,
> just the idea of it...)
<snip>

The "box" is just a commodity. I could care less about
the hardware of the device that I am using. If my
toaster had the software (Firmware and software) of my
Newton, then my toaster would be my favorite toy! My
Wintel box (dual pentium III 650mhz, 512mb RAM 120gb
Hard drive <yes, giga bytes> CDRW, 21" monitor, ergo
keyboard and mouse plus other activity enhancing
parts) cost me less than $2500! (generic and clone
parts) in contrast, my assortment of software that I
use and interact on a daily basis ranges into the 10s
of thousands of dollars! I could care less if my box
died tomorrow! the investment is minimal! the hardware
is less than 4% of my software investment. So, when I
upgraded from windows 3.11, to Win 95, my box needed
to be upgraded...but none of my software did. I
upgraded to Windows NT 4 and still, I could use the
same un-upgraded software. Now I'm at Windows 2000
Professional server Plus and still, I am running all
my old software (I haven't upgraded any software I use
in over 5 years! And some software I use to this day I
purchased in the mid '80s!) There isn't a single
Macintosh box around that can make the same claim!
Sure, upgrade the box, what's it gonna cost me, $200,
$500, $1000? Big deal? Upgrade my software? Ha! Last
time i checked, if I upgraded everything I owned, i'ld
be out $50K!
Ed
web/gadget guru

=====
this is a temporary sig file until I can figure out a more clever one to use

http://mail.yahoo.com/