Re: NTLK The Mistry of Apple Products (was HWR and inet / chat pkgs)

From: Jon Glass (jonglass@usa.net)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 13:17:10 CDT

on 8/12/00 11:21 PM, Ed Kummel at tech_ed@yahoo.com wrote:

> There isn't a single
> Macintosh box around that can make the same claim!

Actually, there is also another way to look at it. I bought a Performa 600
way back in 94, with OS 7.1. I have since upgraded it to various
incarnations of 7.5 and 7.6, and recently put in a Quadra 650 board,
effectively making it the equivalent of a 486, and upgraded the system to
8.1, which is probably the equiv. of Windows 98. Granted, I'm a bit behind
the times, in doing this stuff, but I have _kept_ the same basic computer,
and upgraded multitudinous times, and have not had to upgrade anything on my
hardware nor my software. This computer is 8 years old, based on its first
manufacture date, yet still running solid. I run not the newest software or
OS, but it is fairly recent stuff. Find any 386 or 486 that can run any
modern Microsoft OS and software. You can't. That is the difference between
Mac and Windows.

BTW, I'm running on my PowerPC Powerbook both Word 5.1 and PublishIt Easy.
Both pre-date the PowerPC processor by several years, yet run without any
problems in emulation on my Powerbook. In a sense, doing just what you
claimed a Mac couldn't do. On a Mac, we go both ways. On top of that, our
hardware has a much longer lifespan than most garden variety Windows
hardware. Therefore, we win three ways. :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"You think it's a conspiracy by the networks to put bad shows on TV. But the shows are bad because that's what people want. It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." --Steve Jobs