Re: NTLK wireless & platform prefs

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 20:49:45 CDT

I believe that the stability of any platform depends
on what you are doing with it. I work for a large
internet firm (the biggest in the world...60% of the
internet travels over our backbone!) and we have
thousands (perhaps more...what with the 10 new
datacenters we're deploying) and on some of the shared
NT machines (running NT4.0 and NT2000) are hosting up
to 25 websites per (dual Pentium II, 400s, 256mb ram,
12gb storage RAID) and for the most part, they run
quite stable. Now granted, we are running clean
machines with very little extras (Cold Fusion, ASP,
Front Page and SQL or Access) Heck, I was just on one
machine that had been up for 1000+ hours! (41 days for
the mathematically impared) And that was not an out of
the norm uptime. Where we really see problems is when
customers try and load untested software on the boxes
and the usual culprit is fragmented memory. On the
other hand, when I was a network administrator with a
pro apple boss (yup, all apple network) if I locked
the apple machines down so that the users couldn't
mess with them, everything worked fine. But when I
opened up to allow the users to mess with the
machines, problems...without fail.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I honestly
believe that an educated user can keep a machine
running longer than an uneducated user, irregardless
of the platform! Me personally, I have a Dell thingy
on my desk at work running Win2000 and I haven't
rebooted it in the last 2 months! Stable as a rock!
and I'm running everything from PCAnywhere to
Photoshop and MS Office.
Ed
web/gadget guru
--- Wolf Lichtenberger <w_l@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Hamilton, George wrote:
> > Moral:
> [...]
> > Does it make you feel superior to diss MS?
>
> No, just makes me feel better after experiencing
> YAIB (yet another inexplicable
> bug) like f.e. Windows NT sometimes not wanting to
> load a driver depending on
> ows what...
>
> > Perhaps that is cathartic.--george
>
> No, pathetic. Although i mostly like the NT working
> environment.
>
> > PS Apple's industrial design is the envy of the
> industry, IMHO.
>
> IMHO too, though i've got some growing doubts
> lately. Their marketing reality
> (customer relations as opposed to the well-styled ad
> campaigns) IMHO still sucks
> though.

=====
this is a temporary sig file until I can figure out a more clever one to use

http://im.yahoo.com/