Re: NTLK Re: farallon newton etherwave adapter

From: Marco Mailand (Marco.Mailand@psi.ch)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 06:10:00 CDT

Peter Edwardsson wrote:
> I've got an Newton MP 2100 and also got an farallon etherwave adapter.
> I've tried to use it between my Newton and my PB 540c, but I could not
> get it to work. Do I need a special driver for the Farallon Etherwave
> adapter?
The adapter is intended to be used in an existing ethernet network. That
is at least one computer (e.g. your PowerBook and a hub or another
computer or printer which has to be connected to the Adapter with a
crossed cable. If you have only your PB and the Newton connected to the
Adaptor via a LocalTalk connection then the adaptor does not see any end
point or termination of the ethernet and will very likely issue an error
message. A valid ethernet connection is probably indicated by ligthing
LED's close to the RJ45 connectors of the adaptor.
You might be successfull if you connect your PB via crossed network
cable to the adaptor. But then you must leave the other port open. And
be sure to connect the MP by means of two LT adaptors and a LT cable,
not only with the black serial connection cable.
If all of that doesn't work you could try an Ethernet card for you MP,
which is probably cheaper than the (iPrint equivalent) adaptor.

--

Regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand

http://www.psi.ch/SLS http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing *************************************** NewtonTalk brought to you by: