Re: NTLK re: Newton and DSL

From: jimthej (jimthej@pacbell.net)
Date: Sat Aug 19 2000 - 16:52:27 CDT

on 8/19/00 2:00 PM, Paul Guyot at pguyot@pnm-consulting.com wrote:

> On Sam 19 aoû 2000 Bill Davis wrote:
>> I have DSL (USWest). Works fine with my Newton 2100 (over Ethernet).
>> Note: I have a static IP address, dunno how it works with DHCP or
>> whatever, but it probably does work.
>
> DHCP works fine except for one point: I haven't seen anything suggesting that
> the client implements properly the lease (i.e. It considers the address is
> granted forever). But it may be implemented after all. Has anyone probative
> experience in that field?

For a time I ran Vicomsoft's SurfDoubler on my G3 as a demo. Worked
flawlessly with my Newt as it sets itself up as a DHCP server and dishes out
an internal address to client machines. I loved it and am about to go back
and buy it. All I have to do is figure out how to get Cat 5 from the
computer room about 100' to my big chair in front of the TV.(And not make my
wife mad.)

Jim Johnston
Teacher
Mac Smacker