RE: NTLK Dead Keyboard? Dying Dongle? Dying InterConnect Port?

From: Tony Ho (fierum@mail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 13:20:21 CDT

Peter,

I had your exact problem a while back, except it was more sneaky; because I have two dongles, I have one permanently on the keyboard, and one permanently on the serial cable. I hadn't used the serial cable in a while, so when I finally did, I was rather distraught to find out that it wouldn't acknowledge the connection. After much fiddling, thinking it was a software error, I switched the dongles...voila, it worked.

Next question that came to mind was, how on earth did something as sturdy as the dongle break? I mean, there are absolutely no moving parts, and the entire thing is coated with thick plastic! and I found it out...the flat interconnector piece, the part that plugs into the newton? the metal shield around it is a single piece of metal that is curved around and meets at the bottom. On my faulty dongle, it had bent just a hair outward; apparently, it was enough, because I took some pliers and carefully crimped it back, and it worked fine again.

Hope this helps,

Tony.