Re: Replicating the Newton Advantage (was RE: NTLK Purchasing Rights to the Newton...?)

From: David Arnold (arnold@dstc.monash.edu.au)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 17:26:02 CDT

-->"Andrew" == Andrew Chen <a_s_c@compuserve.com> writes:

  Andrew> This too is a possibility - wince with netbsd, gnustep, and
  Andrew> python bindings for gnustep. And it would be a PDA too....

i'd be reluctant to run gnustep on a handheld simply because it takes
a lot of pixels/widget.

the newton GUI was designed for use on a handheld-size screen, and it
shows. compare the relative economies of NewtOS/PalmOS vs. WinCE.

>> GNUton is, IMHO, the wrong direction to go. I do not think that
>> being able to directly run all the old Newton stuff is worthwhile
>> right now. The effort invovled for binary compatibility is high.

i'm not (and never was) aiming for binary compatibility. however, the
underlying model of stores/soups, together with the GUI toolkit, seems
to have been the critical factor in the utility of newton apps.

so the plan was to replicate that, ultimately in C, on top of a
commodity OS (ie. Linux/NetBSD), and provide a NewtonScript virtual
machine with which older apps could run.

>> It's the concept of total compatibility with Newton stuff that
>> makes me think a huge amount of effort will need to be expended
>> towards an end that seems less than essential.

i agree, although i see value in being compatible at the bytecode
level. i certainly don't expect Paul Guyot's ATA driver to ever work
on GNUton, for example.