NTLK A Coding Call to Arms: Hotline

From: Peter Curtis (lemur@mac.com)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 23:05:40 CDT

Bonjour,

I have both NCQ (which I love) and NewtJabber (which I can't get to work
because the Mac Jabber client is so terrible), and I love the communication
power this gives me. However, my favorite chat protocal is still missing on
the Newton: Hotline.

Hotline (http://www.bigredh.com) is an increasingly popular, lightweight
chat/news/file transfer system, which I've adored for years due to the
excellent community that develops on the servers. The protocal is fairly
simple (I've made extremely basic clients in REALBasic and Java a few times,
but never finished them), and there's an opensource client/server by the
name of HX available here:

http://hx.fortyoz.org/

I used to be able to enjoy my favorite Hotline servers by starting up HX on
my OS X box (HX is a UNIX program) and then telnetting to it via PT100.
However, changes by my ISP have made connecting to my own machine
impossible, so I'm Hotlineless.

So I beg you, beloved developers, make a Hotline client. A nice, basic chat
client, no frills. With that, we Newtonians will once again have every major
messaging protocal tucked firmly under our collective belt.

Adieu,
Peter