Re: NTLK Ntlk : A Newtoneer in Palmville, Day 2

From: THX 1138 (1f2frfbf@newted.dyndns.org)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 22:41:36 CDT

>Um... 64??? Wouldn't the other choice be 16?

Doh! Yeah. Long day. Sorry. See, this is why I need calculators in the
first place

>I thought calculators were supposed to process input linearly, and not in
>mathematical order. They keep a running subtotal. On any calculator I have
>ever used 8+2*4 is processed as 8 + 2 = 10. That times 4 = 40.

hmmm. I just tried this on my TI-82 and got 16, and my Casio graphing and
Calc++ on the newton both agree with this. However the Windows98 calc, the
newton built in calc and my non-scientific calc all give the 64. I suppose
it depends on the way the calc works. I am used to the fact that if the
entire equation can be shown on the screen (as calc++, the casio and the TI
did, and I'm pretty sure the palm did, hence my frustration) it will use
the mathematical order. A minor quibble, but one that irks the living
daylights out of me. Of course I'm certifiably insane, and my rant is of no
use to anyone whatsoever...

FYI: the palm was on loan for a week, then I gave it back and sent my 2000
in for the upgrade instead.

as always: your mileage may vary.

later,

ben.