Re: NTLK Pen sensing drift

From: John Mark Davis (backlot@swbell.net)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 23:13:13 CDT

> Do you stress your Newton in anyway? Like squeezing it in tight places that
> may twist the hardware?

Kenny: I'm not consciously twisting it. Before when I was having the
problem badly, I found that twisting the Newton slightly would actually
relieve it. Again, the question I have is if dropping it can stress the
screen.

> It is also not a good idea to be heavy handed when writing on the screen.
>
> If you are a heavy writer, note that the Newton's screen is pretty sensitive.

Yes, as I said before I just found that writing a little lighter cleared up
my recent problem.

> If you find it hard to write gently, get the Cross Digital Writer. It is
> gentle on the screen.

How is it more gentle on the screen?

> I doubt the Barrier is a problem.

> I never liked Write Rights because peeling it off tend
> to lift the top layer of the screen.

I hated the WriteRights. Glad I recently found some more discontinued
Barriers after all this time. And now with the new NuShields out, I don't
have to stock up . . .

> I doubt the Barrier is a problem.

Right, but I'll reiterate, when I've recently had the problem, I'll
immediately pull the Barrier and write on the same spot DIRECTLY ON THE
SCREEN and I don't get the "drift". It may be that I'm now just writing
lighter because I'm writing directly on the screen. I dunno.

(I also know that when writing with my Barrier, sometimes letters don't
"take" right away, especially an up-and-down stroke, like an "l" or an "I".
I'm not sure if that's because there's this other layer of plastic now on
top of the screen, but this may be why I tend to write more firmly than I
should.)

Anyway, speaking of screen protection, THERE'S NOTHING LIKE WRITING DIRECTLY
ON THE SCREEN, there's nothing that feels so good and clean. And the screen
looks so better unprotected. After a couple of nicks and some "write wear"
on the screen of my first Newton, I vowed to never write without screen
protection again, and the Barriers are the best thing out there. But STILL
I wish I could have a stockpile of replacement screens and just write on my
screen all the time!

So I guess it's true for the Newton, too: even though it doesn't feel as
good, you should always use protection! ;)

--
John Mark Davis
backlot@swbell.net