Re: NTLK Line In Connector?

From: J. van de Griek (Joost_van_de_Griek@nl.yachtgroup.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 09:54:48 CDT

david ting wrote:

> > Newton used to be important and I guess Apple wanted to be
> > forward-thinking. The specs are there (as are the basic components).
> > Several people have made their own audio dongles.
>
> Does anyone have the pinout diagram for the MP2K/MP2100 serial port? (I
> guess this is a dumb question, considering the number of engineers on this
> list -- surely someone has this information!) What would it take to create
> an audio dongle?

It would take:
- one or two audio plugs (depending on whether you want line in, line out,
or both);
- some wire;
- some fiddling to make it into a workable adapter.

I do have the pin-outs and specs for the Newton Interconnect Port (as it is
officially known) somewhere, I'll be glad to host them online in case no one
has done so already.

> I suppose, given that someone has seen diagrams for line in/out, serial
> and AC plugging into that port, it must be _more_ than just a serial port.
> Also, is the Newton serial port USB compliant (except for the shape)? Is
> it RS-232 compliant? What protocol does it follow?

The port is RS442 (Mac Serial/LocalTalk) compliant, the secondary port is
almost compliant, just some trivial electronics needed. RS442 is backwards
compatible with RS232.

Neither port is USB compliant; that is a totally different thing.

The Newton Interconnect Port has pins for the following connections:

- Serial 1/LocalTalk
- Serial 2
- Audio In
- Audio Out
- AC In
- +5V DC Out
- Auto Dock

I don't have the specs before me, I might be forgetting something...

,xtG
..tsooJ

--
Joost van de Griek