Re: NTLK A Coding Call to Arms: Hotline

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot@pnm-consulting.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 16:24:17 CDT

>Pretty much the same for me. However, as opposed to Paul, my priority
>list is driven by, unfortunately, financial gains.

I am not driven by financial gains for my Newton activity (and for
many other things) I admit it. However, I won't do consulting
contracts unless they pay well, and they have a higher priority than
the Newton development, that's normal.

Anyway, it would be very hard for the current Newton community to pay
all its developer the wages we would get for the same amount of work.
However, developing for the Newton has always been a pleasure for me.
It's not a question of Palm vs Newton war. It simply has nothing to
do from the professional development I may have done or I will do. It
is just that the OS is so well written, the users are so thankful &
faithful, well everything a developer would dream of can be found
here. I'm sure that Laurent understands what I mean, he who can be
considered as a new Newton developer.

I have started to write programs on the Newton because of my own
need. When I came to the Newton community (pretty late, btw) I
published the whole stuff with the sources because I didn't expected
anything from them. I still remember a note from Peter Rand telling
me that LearnFast was a software he dreamt of. This was a high moment
of pleasure.

Today, I am more and more writing softwares I wouldn't need at all
(ATA driver, connection software, foreign dictionaries, etc). I can
convince myself that yes there is some utility for me because I could
tell it to future possible employers, but really, this doesn't
rationaly cover the work I spend. If I won't leave the driver free it
is mainly because of original hardware costs, because I would like to
send my own Newton to repair and buy a spare one and because I could
equilibrate my computer hardware budget this way. The other reason is
that I can justify to my partner spending so much time on it. I just
show him our website statistics, and they are rather impressive for
the Newton part.

Regards,

Paul

--