Re: NTLK A Coding Call to Arms: Hotline

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 08:42:29 CDT

Robert Benschop wrote:

> on 23-08-2000 10:55, Laurent Daudelin at laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com
> wrote:
>
> > My experience so far shows that there is little to no return in
> > developping for the Newton, as much as I hate to say this.
>
> I think that there's still some money to be made in this community, but you
> should be willing (and able of course ;-) to make what is wanted most.
> In other words we should have a poll on the list and see what are the top 5
> or 10 most wanted Newton apps and if you'd be interested I'm sure there
> should be at least enough interest to cover development costs with some
> gain.

Let me guess. I think #1 is already fulfilled by Paul with the ATA
driver. Then, I think that the next thing high on the list, that many
people would kill for, is a seamless synchronizing solution. I've
constantly heard people complaining about that, saying how easy it was
with the Palm, and how difficult and flakey it is with the Newton.

However, writing this kind of tool is no easy task. Even Apple didn't
try to do it themselves. They gave it to somebody else, and the result,
as we all know, was less than, let's say, stellar?

I've thought many times about that kind of synchronizing tool. What I'm
afraid is the amount of work ahead and the lack of documentation/support
from Apple. I don't want to start another mailing list-based poll, but I
don't really know how many people would be interesting in this tool, and
how much they're be willing to pay. And it's hard to come up with a
price when you don't really know what problem you'll be facing. With the
total lack of any support, it's very hard to define the roadmap of the
project, determine how long it will take and when it would be ready.

Unless someone has some insights I don't have...

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS
Fannie Mae Washington, DC, USA
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com