Re: NTLK Re: RemoteTown 1.1

From: Robert Benschop (robertbenschop@bigfoot.com)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 15:57:59 CDT

on 28-08-2000 10:43, David Nett at troilus1@yahoo.com wrote:

> Has anyone ever written a pseudo user guide for
> remote town (in English)? I'm horribly intrigued
> by it (I have v1.0), but I have no idea how to
> play. I wanna play! (not that I have work to do
> or anything...)

This was on the list at the end of last year. (it's for the before last
version of course)
___________________
rryu the designer of RemoteTown made a very high score with 1.6 Million
 people (twice my best score). But he knows how it works. Here is the full
 description (I do this summary by memory, (all I could do blocked in
 Normandy) hence some values may be wrong):

 each turn, n cells are selected random. n is the grow rate + 9, (initialy 0
 + 9) and every school gives 3 more grow counts, every factories 2.

The score of each selected cell depends on what there is on this cell and
 the 8 neighbors. Initialy, you have one point.
 grasslands & forests give 0 point.
 one kind of houses (among 4) give 2 points.
 roads and small buildings give 3 points.
 big buildings give 4 points.
 parks give 18 points.
 stations give 30 points.
 every other cells give 1 point (housing lands, houses, estates, schools,
 railways)

 Hence if you have a housing land surrounded with grasslands or forests you
 have for this cell 2 points (one initial point plus one for the housing
 land).

 Now, each selected cell will change depending on what it is, its score and
 a random factor:
 a railway will become a factory with a probability of 1/80th
 a housing land, grassland or forest will become a factory if you have at
 least 10000 people and with a probability of 1/200th
 a housing land with a score greater or equal to 3 will become a house
 (selected randomly)
 a house with a score greater or equal to 21 will become a small building.
 a small building will become a big building.

 Each house is 300 people; each small building 1200. Each big building 3200.
 Each estate 2000.

 Your budget is calculated every three months: it is increased by 100 + 3%
 of your population.

 Hence, to reach high scores (my first game, I reached 850K+), just put
 housing lands around the railway and build 9 cells patterns with housing
 lands all around and a park in the center. Once every housing land became a
 building, (or maybe a little before, depending on the surrounding cells),
 you can destroy the park to replace it with a housing land (which will soon
 become a big building). Build a lot of schools to increase your grow rate.
 The maximum score is (760-the number of cells of railways)*3200. Just less
 than 2.4 millions. Good luck.

 Paul

hope this helps, haven't played it myself yet :-(

Robert Benschop