Re: NTLK apple quicktake 200 digital camera & newton/tibet compatibility?

From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 18:32:13 CDT

>has anyone successfully connected the newt and an good ol' apple quicktake
>200 digital camera (from 96-97 ca)???
>
>i have found an old quicktake camera in an old computer lab, it seems to
>work fine, except i dont know if it will work with tibet/newton. i have yet
>not read in any faq about this very model (the quicktake 200), but i assume
>it must work, as its connection software (called camera access) reminds a
>bit of NCU. theres probably somewhat more similarities than just the
>interface, i guess, as both apps work with the serial port (correct me if im
>wrong).
>
>there is no newton or win notes in the instruction manual, only macOS

I used to own a QT150 camera, but the software for both of them is
the same. It uses some Apple proprietary image format which make
pictures visible only when the appropriate drivers are installed.
They look like standard PICT format, but if you try to open one
without having the QuickTake software installed, it will not show up,
you'll see some message instead, telling you to install the correct
software first (which is not free).
I seriously doubt that anybody has gone through the trouble of
re-engineering this piece for the Newton. Neither have I heard of any
driver to download camera pictures onto the Newton ... sorry.

The camera shipped with either windows or Mac software. You might
have the Mac version but you can get the Windows Software from Apple
for about $20 or so (for shipping & handling).

Best regards,
Chris

Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre