Re: NTLK apple quicktake 200 digital camera & newton/tibet compatibility?

From: Chris Browder (Chris.Browder@Lroom.org)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 21:34:44 CDT

on 8/28/00 6:32 PM, Chris Ruprecht at chrup@earthlink.net wrote:

> I used to own a QT150 camera, but the software for both of them is
> the same. It uses some Apple proprietary image format which make
> pictures visible only when the appropriate drivers are installed.
> They look like standard PICT format, but if you try to open one
> without having the QuickTake software installed, it will not show up,
> you'll see some message instead, telling you to install the correct
> software first (which is not free).
> I seriously doubt that anybody has gone through the trouble of
> re-engineering this piece for the Newton. Neither have I heard of any
> driver to download camera pictures onto the Newton ... sorry.
>
> The camera shipped with either windows or Mac software. You might
> have the Mac version but you can get the Windows Software from Apple
> for about $20 or so (for shipping & handling).
 WRONG!!!

The QuickTake 200 uses JPEG format. It is based off a FUJI camera. And I
know this because I use a FlashPath floppy adatar with my QT200.

You are also wrong on about statement. Only the 100 did this. The 150 and
100 with the QT150 software mounted the camera on the desktop and the files
were standard PICT images that any app could open up.

As for reverse engineering there is an App for the QT200 and many other
cameras called "Cameraid" [Mac app] that lets you download the images. I
don't have a serial cable nor Tibet to try using them together.

But I do want to set the record straight - the QT100 & 150 use normal PICT
images (with the 150's software installed mounting the camera to the
desktop), and the 200 stores in raw JPEG format.

--
- Chris B.

A supporter of... \\ /, `( Newton Technology \ =

--------> AOL/AIM Name: JB1463 <-------- --------> ICQ#: 50117402 <-------- --------> Web Site: http://home.earthlink.net/~jb1463 <-------- >>>>>>>>>T H I N K D I F F E R E N T <<<<<<<<<