Re: NTLK MP130 Won't Backup, System Soup Corrupted!

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 13:02:39 CDT

SteveCraft wrote:

> I am running NBU v1.0.1 under Windoze NT Workstation. I am connected thru
> COM1 at 38400bps (Newton won't see the PC at any other speed for some
> reason).
>
> I am pretty sure that my system soup is corrupted somehow, because now
> when I doa Find I get a system error -48221. What's a soup editor?
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> > > I found the Newton Backup Utility 1.0 on Apple's web site. Now I am
> > > trying to do a backup of my MP130 and it always ends witha -1 error
> after
> > > looking like it is going to work for 8 seconds.
> >
> > Always after 8 seconds or so? Is it backing up something when the error
> > occurs? I think the first information that are backed up are the system
> > information. If so, that would maybe mean that your system soup is
> > somehow corrupted. If that's the case, you would have to use some soup
> > editor and try to find the culprit entry that make the backup fails.
> >
> > What kind of connection are you using? Serial? LocalTalk? Macintosh or
> > PeeCee?

A soup editor is an application that will let you edit information that
is stored in your Newton. As opposed to almost all other OSs, the Newton
OS uses a very object-oriented way to store information. It looks a bit
like a large soup, hence the name. It's more or less a vast collection
of information.

I would suggest that you get SBM Utilities, from SoftwareBuro Mueller.
This application comes with a very nice soup editor. In addition, it has
a "Doctor" module that can troubleshoot problems and repair it. Before
attempting anything, I would use it and give it a try.

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS
Fannie Mae Washington, DC, USA
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com