Re: NTLK MP130 Won't Backup, System Soup Corrupted!

From: Victor Rehorst (chuma@chuma.org)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 16:43:19 CDT

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, SteveCraft wrote:

> I am running NBU v1.0.1 under Windoze NT Workstation. I am connected thru
> COM1 at 38400bps (Newton won't see the PC at any other speed for some
> reason).
>
> I am pretty sure that my system soup is corrupted somehow, because now
> when I doa Find I get a system error -48221. What's a soup editor?

-48221 means there was an attempted reference to a deactivated package.

A soup editor is a utility you can use to manually edit all of the data
stored in your Newton. (Newton data is stored in structures called soups.)

When I had a find problem on my 130 I used TrashPak to delete the Library
soup - it contains information about current books, and also old books that
you might used to have installed. It's possible that one of these entries
got corrupted somehow.

You can get TrashPak from your favourite Newton software
archive: PlanetNewton, AMUG, etc.

--
Victor Rehorst - victor@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca | chuma@chuma.org
Secretary, CASU & CPES College Governments, University of Guelph, Canada