Re: Corporate Braniacs (Was NTLK Setting POP and SMTP servers using Enroute iNet?)

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 01:33:55 CDT

On 8/29/00 7:31 AM, Steve Dockery [mailto:sdockery@gte.net] wrote:

>Grant wrote:
>
>> Frankly, I try to avoid IMAP... but that wasn't really the problem. I'm
>> already running my own mail server separate from the Microsoft Exchange
>> boondoggle that our technology brainiacs down in the corporate head
>> office have mandated across the company (ugh!). I won't let any of my
>> mail touch that thing... the actual problem was that I couldn't find
>> where to change my mail server settings on my Newt.
>
>I feel for you. They installed Exchange at my office too. We're a 95% Mac
>office, but they installed a windows-centric email system (several of the
>features they picked it for aren't implemented in the current Mac version of
>the Outlook client!). Then they did a demo for the staff using Windows, and
>almost as an afterthought told us what features he'd just demo'ed weren't
>functional on the mac, but hopefully will be when the next version comes
>out.

Jeeeez. If I were you I'd slap those IS folks down REAL QUICK or you'll
be a 100% Windows shop before you can blink twice. I'm NOT kidding.

Not to mention they are either totally asleep at the wheel or (worse)
uncaring about what their USERS want and need. Or they are trying to
pull a fast one. It's not their job to dictate to you. Don't let them.
Agitate to get rid of Exchange NOW or you'll be using a Windows box
before you know it.

>Regardless of your Mac or PC affiliation, anybody with any brains would
>think you'd try to pick a system that addresses the users' needs. Instead,
>out network people pick things that make their job the easiest (since
>they're already Windows NT geeks).

Actually, too many IS people pick what they know, are not interested in
learning anything else, and use NT and other MS products because they
require huge amounts of support and training and basically give them
total job security. And bear in mind, I _am_ an IS person, an in-house
programmer using Microsoft products (Visual BASIC, MS-Access) under
Windows (and Alpha minicomputers), so I know what I'm talking about here
(our shop has never had any Macs, though - your IS folks don't have ANY
excuse for what they did. They are, quite simply, incompetent.) Gotta
watch those IS people like a hawk. Too many of them haven't a clue about
Macs, don't want to, and will (either nastily or stealthily) move to push
them out of the company.

>*sigh*
>
>The dumbest thing is how much more powerful and attractive the Outlook
>Express email program (FREE) is than the Outlook Client for Exchange (costs
>$). Ah, but that's probably because OE is built by the MS Mac-only division
>and Outlook isn't...

Only if you're doing e-mail. Outlook does other things besides that (at
least on Windows. I tried to run Outlook for Exchange for Mac, but it
doesn't work right for me because we don't have an Exchange server
running, yet anyway).

I wouldn't bet the farm on their "Outlook" in Office 2001 for Mac working
with Exchange Server, either....they don't even call it Outlook; I think
they chose "Entourage". That tells me it's probably NOT Outlook
compatible (otherwise why rename it, when they didn't rename World, Excel
and PowerPoint and those are pretty much identical to their Windows
counterparts?)

That's another sign of bad IS people - depending/planning on future stuff
from MS (or any company) that hasn't shipped yet. If it's not shipping,
don't even consider it.

Gee, this seems to be Stupid IS People Horror Stories week here on
NewtonTalk!

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/